19 June 2012

I Need More... Words [What Doctors CANNOT Tell You]

Over dinner not too long ago, our friend casually mentioned, "I now have 5,000 copies of my book in the garage." Hold on.  Rewind.  "5,000 copies of what book?"  


Turns out, Kevin is one of those rare people who do what they say they are going to do.  (Oh, to have that feather in my cap.)  In his case, it was "write a book".  He handed me a copy, right off of the aforementioned stack, to read in advance of it's official launch date - 26 June 2012.
Let me introduce you to a brilliant doctor turned author, Dr. Kevin Jones.  Kevin is a orthopaedic surgeon and researcher at the Hunstman Cancer Institute in Salt Lake City, UT and a mighty fine musician, I might add.  Following an undergraduate degree in English Literature at Harvard University and medical school at Johns Hopkins, he pursued orthopaedic surgical residency at the University of Iowa then fellowship training in musculoskeletal oncology at Mount Sinai Hospital and the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children.


And his book?  Well, I plowed through it.  And now I'm here to shout it from the rooftops!  If you've ever visited a doctor, if you've ever worried about needing a second opinion, if you've ever headed to the internet or library to dig a little deeper into a diagnosis, if you've ever struggled with a medical decision, or if you just want a deeper, better educated view of your personal health but have no idea how to get meaningful conversations with your physician started... then you NEED to read this book!  Read more about it at www.doctorscannottellyou.com.


Or better yet, buy a copy for yourself.  What Doctors Cannot Tell You is available from Amazon in paperback and Kindle edition, Barnes & Noble in paperback and Nook book, and from Kevin's garage.  :)






REVIEW PROS: Following each chapter of the book, you'll find 67 questions that patients should be asking their doctors at different stages of treatment in order to become as knowledgeable as possible about their own health.


REVIEW CONS: Your initial thought might be that your doctor is withholding information from you.  Ever thought that maybe your doctor cannot tell you more because you're not asking the right questions?  Put those conversation-starting questions to work for you!  Yep, the ball's in your court.


RATING: 5/5

1 comment:

Norm Marquardson said...

Teishi, as I began to read this post, my stomach sank when the book title felt familiar and you said the author's name was Kevin, and I thought...Kevin...Trudeau? I was so relieved as I read on and realized I was wrong about the book and the author. Your pristine image remains untarnished :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us all!